Thursday, August 9, 2012

How to: leopard print nails






This is one of my favorite ways to do my nails, and is a lot easier to do than you would think!

You will first start off with a matte base color. I really like light pink leopard print so I chose MAVALA's Nicosia. I had to do three coats because it is so opaque, but it becomes a really nice pearly champagne color.




After those coats dry, dip a small paintbrush or nail brush into a your second polish and add two to four little dots to each nail, filling out the space evenly. I like to put my polish onto a palette or piece of paper so I don't get my brush messy dipping it into the bottle. I used SpaRitual's Solstice which is a gold that gives the nails a really nice effect in the light. You can also use a dotting tool or nail pen instead of a brush, depending on what you have on hand.


  Dip your brush in nail polish remover and wipe it on a paper towel to clean it. (do not use cotton balls- the brush will stick to the cotton) and kind of outline the gold dots in a dark color. You don't need to outline the gold perfectly, it helps to look up leopard print photos as a guide.  I used O.P.I.'s Lincoln Park After Dark, but a black would work too.  You can also use a black nail pen, which may be easier for some people. The good thing about doing a leopard/cheetah print is that it doesn't have to look perfect. you can mess up and it will still look good. which is helpful for us non-ambidextrous folk.


Add some extra dark purple lines to fill in the nails, apply your topcoat and you're done! go get em' tiger!... er, leopard...



here are some of my favorite variations on this pattern



orange ombre


 and some reference photos




What's the difference between cheetahs and leopards? we don't know. we can't stop looking at cute pictures of them to find out.


you know, for reference




2 comments:

  1. Cute nails! I think I will try this tonight~ thanks for posting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. the difference between leopard print and cheetah prints are really simple. leopards have two toned spots and cheetahs are single toned usually brownish. leopards spots are brown in the middle and have a black outline, usually that looks like a "C". i love animals especially big cats and i use these prints all the time in decoration.

    ReplyDelete